About


Diocese > About

 Our Mission

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Greensburg calls together the faithful in four southwestern Pennsylvania counties  Armstrong, Fayette, Indiana and Westmoreland​ – under the leadership of the diocesan bishop, a successor of the Apostles, and in communion with the Holy Father, the bishop of Rome. The Catholics of this diocese, priests, deacons, religious and laity, work together to live out their baptismal call to proclaim, in word and action, the Gospel of Jesus, handed down to us through Scripture, tradition and the magisterium of the church. Our diocesan mission is continually realized by proclaiming God's word; celebrating the sacraments, especially the Eucharist; forming communities of faith; and building a just and compassionate society in this world so that we may be fulfilled human beings on this earth, and so that we may all share God's salvation in his kingdom.

 At A Glance

​​Canonically Erected: March 10,1951, by Pope Pius XII

Diocesan Patroness: Our Lady of the Assumption

Square Miles: 3,334

​Counties: Armstrong, Fayette, Indiana, and Westmoreland

Regions: 10

Deaneries: 5

Total Population: 645,602

Catholic Population: 141,041

Diocesan Cathedral: Blessed Sacrament, Cathedral

Parishes: 78

Parishes in Partner Configurations: 38

Diocesan Priests: 96

Active Diocesan Priests: 60

Retired Diocesan Priests: 34

Filipino Priests: 12​

Permanent Deacons: 6

Current Bishop: Bishop Edward C. Malesic

Past bishops: Bishop Hugh L. Lamb (1952-50), Bishop William G. Connare (1960-87),
Bishop Norbert F. Gaughan (auxiliary bishop 1975-84), Bishop Anthony G. Bosco (1987-2004), Bishop Lawrence E. Brandt​ (2004-15).

 1700s

​​1749 The first Mass west of the Allegheny Mountains is celebrated near Kittanning.

1773 Westmoreland County is formed.

1789 – The property where Blessed Sacrament Cathedral stands is purchased by six pioneer Catholics. They are considered the first permanent Catholic congregation west of the Alleghenies.

1790 – The site of present day St. Vincent Archabbey, College, Seminary, and Basilica Parish in Latrobe is purchased

1799 The City of Greensburg, named for Revolutionary War hero General Nathaniel Green is founded. 

 1800s

Sugar Creek Church.jpg1806 – Prince Demetrius Gallitzin, later known as Father Augustine, is thought to have established the church in Sugar Creek, the oldest church west of the Alleghenies, which is now a chapel of St. Patrick Parish in Brady's Bend.
1843 – The Diocese of Pittsburgh is established.
1846 – Father Boniface Wimmer, a German immigrant, establishes the Benedictine presence at St. Vincent by forming the first Benedictine monastery in the United States.

1846-47 – St. John Nepomuccene Neumann, a Redemptionist priest serving in Pittsburgh, helps establish the mother church of the diocese, now Blessed Sacrament Cathedral in Greensburg.

1847 – The Sisters of Mercy establish St. Xavier Academy in Latrobe.
 
1882 – The Sisters of Charity establish their motherhouse in Greensburg.

 1865-1917 – More than 80 parishes and missions are built across the four counties of Armstrong, Fayette, Indiana and Westmoreland.

 1900s

1951 - Diocese of Greensburg canonically erected by Pope Pius XII, March 10. The arms of the diocese were devised by William F.J. Ryan of New York, NY and West Chatham, Mass.
 
1952 – Bishop Hugh L. Lamb, an auxiliary bishop in Philadelphia, is installed as the first bishop of the Diocese of Greensburg January 16.
 
1959 – Greensburg Central Catholic High School is dedicated November 29. Bishop Lamb later passes away December 8, at the age of 69.
Bishop Connare Accent.jpg

1960 – Bishop William G. Connare, a Pittsburgh priest, is appointed as the second bishop of Greensburg Feb. 23. He is later ordained and installed May 4.

1961 – The Catholic​ Accent, the official newspaper of the diocese, is established and first published June 1.

1964 – Geibel Catholic High School, now Geibel Catholic Junior/Senior High School, is dedicated in Connellsville.

1972 – Blessed Sacrament Cathedral renovated to accommodate the changes of Vatican II.

1975 – Bishop Norbe​rt F. Gaughan is appointed auxiliary bishop of Greensburg June 26; to date he is the only auxiliary to serve this diocese.

1984 – Bishop Gaughan appointed chief shepherd of the Diocese of Gary, Ind., July 9. 

1987 – Bishop Connare submits resignation January 20, his 75th birthday. Bishop Anthony G. Bosco is installed as the third bishop of Greensburg June 30.

1995 – Bishop Connare dies June 12, at the age of 83.

1999 – Bicentennial of the City of Greensburg. Bishop Gaughan dies Oct. 1, at 78.

 2000s

Campaign Leaders2000 – The Capital Campaign "Honoring Our Past... Shaping Our Future," begins Sept. 21. The campaign raises more than $28 million for the diocese and its parishes.
 
2001 – The Diocese of Greensburg celebrates its golden anniversary.

2002  
Bishop Bosco submits his resignation August 1; his 75th birthday.
 
2003  Accent on the Air, the diocesan award winning radio newsmagazine, airs its final show March 30.

2004 – 
Bishop Lawrence E. Brandt ordained and installed as the fourth bishop of Greensburg, March 4. The Diocesan Lenten Appeal is established.
Malesic Ordination2009 – The Capital & Endowment Campaign "Today's Challenge ~ Tomorrow's Hope" begins and receives more than $55 million in pledges and gifts. The first two permanent deacons in diocesan history are ordained August 10, and a training and certification process for all catechists is established October 15.


2010 – Catholic teaching programing began airing on the diocesan sponsored 
"We Are One Body" radio – WAOB-FM 106.7, WAOB 860 AM, and WPGR 1510 AM. The Diocesan Poverty Relief Fund administered by Catholic Charities of the Diocese of Greensburg is established.

LOGO_50yrs.jpg2011 – A restoration project at Blessed Sacrament Cathedral is culminated October 30. The Catholic Acc​ent​ celebrates 50 years of publication.

2012
– The diocese receives the DISC (Diocesan Information Systems Conference) Technology Award.

2013  
Bishop Bosco dies July 2, at the age of 85.

2014 – 
Bishop's Tuition Transfer Grant is created January 27. Bishop Brandt submits his resignation, March 10, his 75th birthday. The Diocesan Heritage Center is blessed on the grounds of the Bishop Connare Center, Greensburg, May 13.

2015 – 
Bishop Brandt​ retires. Bishop Edward C. Malesic ordained and installed as the fifth bishop of Greensburg July 13. Bishop Malesic and pilgrims from the across the diocese travel to DC, New York and Philadelphia in September to commemorate the World Meeting of Families and greet Pope Francis during first trip to America.
​​​​​​

 Southwestern Corner

The Diocese of Greensburg covers 3,334 square miles, and encompasses Armstrong, Fayette, Indiana, and Westmoreland Counties in the southwes​tern corner​ of the state of Pennsylvania. Bordering the western slopes of the Allegheny Mountains, our diocese is part of the region known as the "Gateway to the West." Westmoreland County, home to the city of Greensburg, is primarily urban, while the other three counties are more rural.

The early settlers in our diocesan area came from a rich array of ethnic backgrounds. Beginning in colonial days, people from all parts of Europe migrated to this region. Waves of Catholic immigrants from Ireland, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Poland and Slovakia settled here. 

At the turn of the century, many Italians came to this area as well, followed by the mostly Catholic Irish and Eastern Europeans, representing all of the middle European countries. The diocesan population reflects this rich ethnic heritage. 

In recent years, the region's large blue-collar base has been joined by a growing number of professional and white-collar workers, adding to the diverse human texture of the Diocese of Greensburg.

StTherese_FirstChurch.jpg

​The diocese sits atop one of the richest deposits of bituminous coal in the world, some of which has​ yet to be mined. The Allegheny and Monongahela rivers, which traverse the northern and southern sections of the diocese, carry barges that bring coal, river sand and gravel to the Midwest region and south.

Economically, much of the diocese has been strongly affected by the decline of the coal and steel industries. Fayet​t​e County, for example, has experienced many decades of economic depression from the depletion of its coal supply. Indiana County still mines coal that is primarily used as a source of electric power.
 
The northern counties, Armstrong and Indiana, are largely agricultural, and have experienced the decline of small family farms. In Westmoreland County, much of the labor force was employed in the production of steel, and as suppliers to steel companies. The closing of many smaller steel mills has compounded the region's underemployment.
 
The economic realities of the region have also affected the population ​of our parishes. Some towns and cities have lost significant population due to the decline of key industries. The diocese has responded to these demographic shifts by making necessary changes in parish structures, including consolidating or partnering parishes in some areas.